Friday 31 October 2008

Chanel no 5

I used to be literally obsessed with Chanel no 5. I had a bottle at some ridiculously young age.. probably after pressuring mum with every method in my armoury. Well, it's now been a while since I've worn it.. and after forgetting perfume this morning, I sprayed myself whilst the Chanel lady was dusting her shelves in the pharmacy.
I was instantly transported. I only wish words could capture memories as accurately as they were felt. I literally stepped back 15 years.
I hold so many childhood memories dear. My memories focus on winter.. strangely. A warm house. The smell of fabric softener in one end of the house, with the (still to my ears) soporific rumble of the tumble dryer. Mum most likely reading something in her bedroom while something bubbled in the oven. I'd be somewhere with the dog and Jennifer in close proximity.. and we'd surely be vaguely hysterically comotose from the sugar high earlier in the afternoon.
All that- from one sniff of Chanel no 5.

No comments: