Friday 4 December 2009

Milkbar





The Olympia is the stuff of myth, legend and deep deep fear. Mentioned here under Olympia Milk Bar- and the subject of forums, fiction and facebook groups. I can sort of verify. For I was staying in Annandale a few years ago, walked down Parramatta Rd on a sunny night on the way to the bus and was intrigued enough to venture through the doors. Oh my god, it obviously hadn't changed in 25 years, ancient dusty boxes of chocolate- even the chewing gum out of its used by date. It was almost pitch black, no lights. The proprietor (who really did look like Count Dracula himself) took exception to me and screamed and ranted until I left. I can't remember what I asked. Probably how long have you been open? or something, I surely didn't want confectionery, I just wanted to UNDERSTAND! Plenty of stories on the web say that he was married with kids. His wife had a hairdressers upstairs. She and the kids were killed in a car accident and he ran it with his brother rather successfully as it was attached to the then Stanmore Cinema. The brother dies, and he promises never ever to shut up shop. So, is this true? Don't know, but I do love a story. I can kind of imagine it in it's heyday, like Freya Olson's parents shop in The Year My Voice Broke.

No comments: